One of the crafts on our Summer Bucket List was to make Ice Boats.
I’ve seen several people make Ice Boats and I thought they would be a fun way to cool off on a hot NC summer day.
Here is how we made our Ice Boats:
- Plastic Disposable Cups
- Bendy Straws
- Scotch Tape
- Construction Paper
Freeze Your Boat
- Tape the short end of the bendy straw to the bottom of the plastic cup.
- Fill the cup with water
- Put the cup in the freezer to let it freeze (overnight is best)
Make Your Sail
- Cut a Sail Shape out of Construction Paper. Jude choose purple triangles.
- Cut a small slit in the top of the sail and another on the bottom to fit on the straw.
Assemble Your Boat
- Add the sail – I find it easiest to add the sail while the ice is still in the cup.
- Use Scissors to cut away the plastic cup.
Play with Your Boat
- Fill a large bowl or kiddie pool with water.
- Watch your boats float!
Play quickly because these fun toys melt.
We only got about 5 minutes of play out of our boats before the intense heat melted them away. So we will have to make them again soon.