MagicBands makes your day at Disney simple. MagicBands simplify your Disney experience. With your MagicBand, you can access all your vacation choices on the My Disney Experience mobile app, including park entry, unlocking your Disney resort room, and purchasing products.
It’s true that MagicBands makes the park experience easier and provides some unique experiences, but you can do just fine without one. You can enter the park by scanning a physical ticket or using your Disney app on a mobile phone.
Pro Planning Tip: We recommend using Jessica Lieb with ET Family Travel to book your Disney vacation!
What are Disney MagicBands?
A MagicBand is an adjustable, waterproof wristband with a small radio frequency (RF) chip inside. Everything from video game controllers to keyless car entry uses radio frequency (RF). MagicBands eliminate the need to carry cards and paper at Walt Disney World. MagicBands are worn on your wrist like a watch or bracelet.
How do I get a MagicBand?
You can purchase a MagicBand on the shopDisney website. They come in a variety of colors and designs. Guest staying at a Disney World Resort hotel allows you to purchase discounted magic bands. After linking your reservation to your My Disney Experience account, you can buy your MagicBands at a discounted rate.
If you have an Apple Watch, you can use that instead of purchasing a MagicBand. If you don’t want to buy a MagicBand you can use your Key to the World card when you check into the hotel. The Key to the World card does all the same things as a Magic band.
Types of Magic Bands
All magic bands linked to your My Disney Experience account will:
- Open onsite resort doors
- Get you into the parks
- Get you onto rides booked with Genie Plus
- Link photos taken for Memory Maker
- Allow purchases to be charged to your room.
- Will keep up with credits for the dining plan
- You can re-use magic bands for around 3 years after purchasing
- Basic MagicBands come already linked to your My Disney Experience account. You don’t have to do anything else to them once you have received it.
These are the newest bands and do everything that basic bands do, except they light up when entering the parks, during shows, and when going on rides.
Things to note about the MagicBand+:
- They must be charged for the lights to work. The MagicBand+ has a charger, so don’t accidentally throw it away.
- If it loses the charge, the band still works, it just won’t light up
- When it charges, it is very bright and glows – set it in the bathroom so it’s less annoying.
- They interact with the statues within the park, and it is rumored there will be more features to interact with in the future.
- These bands are already linked. However, you must pair them to your phone. You’ll do this by opening the My Disney Experience app on your phone and clicking MAGIC BANDS. Then, you’ll put the physical MagicBand+ up to the phone’s left side and push a button on the band. You’ll hold this down until the band lights up. Then, follow the prompts on the app. You’ll need to do this with everyone with a magic band plus in your party.
Book Your Disney Vacation
Ready to book your Disney vacation? We recommend using Jessica Lieb with ET Family Vacations to find you the best deal on your Disney vacation. Jessica can save you money on your trip. Plus, her services are 100% FREE FOR YOU!