Spring Break DIY Play Dough
Spring break with my boys is 3 weeks long because they attend a year-round school. This means we have a lot of time on our hands and need fun activities that don’t always require us to go somewhere or spend a lot of money. The boys love to spend time with me in the kitchen and they also love to create so we’ve been making this super easy DIY play dough.
Homemade Play Dough Recipe
- 2 Cups of Flour
- 2 Tbsp of Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Cup of Salt
- 2 Tbsp Cream of Tartar
- 1 1/2 Cup Water
- Gel Food Dye*
- Mix flour, salt, Cream of Tartar, oil and water in a large pot. This mixture will be lumpy and watery.
- Cook over a low heat, mixing frequently. The water will cook off and the dough will start to thicken. Continue stirring until the dough appears dry.
- Remove from heat, place in a separate bowl, cover and allow to cool.
- After the dough is cooled divide the dough into equal parts and place in individual bowls.
- Add a few drops of different gel food dye color* to each ball and kneed until the color is evenly dispersed. (a few drops go a long way)
- Store dough in an air tight container. Unused dough will keep for several months.
*Gel Food Dye will stain clothes, hands and some porous surfaces. Wear gloves and use caution when working with gel food dye. Once the dye has been mixed into the dough it will no longer stain.
I’m really looking forward to the rest of our spring break, I have a ton of fun at-home activities planned. For more fun kid-friendly spring break activities and snack ideas visit Juicy Juice. I think our next spring break activity will be to make these super cool glow-in-the-dark jelly fish.
Aren’t those so cool looking?
Today’s activity is play with our homemade playdough while drinking some Juicy Juice.
I received the featured product in exchange for my honest opinion. My opinions are not influenced by the company.