My in-laws gave us an ice cream maker when we got married. Along with the ice cream maker my Mother-in-law also gave me her ice cream recipe (which is actually more of a frozen custard).
The first time I used the ice cream maker I decided to use one of the recipes that came with the maker and it was a total flop. So now I almost always use my mother-in-law’s recipe. (Always a winner!)
|Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream (Frozen Custard)
- 1 Quart Whole Milk
- 1 Quart Half & Half
- 5 Eggs
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 2 Tbs Flour
- 1/2 Pint Whipping Cream
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 4 cups of pitted and cut up Cherries
- Combine milk and half & half in a double broiler and scald
- Beat together eggs, sugar, and flour.
- Add a bit of the milk mixture to the egg mixture to temper the eggs.
- Add the egg mixture to the milk mixture
- Cook for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Pour into a large bown, cover with wax paper and cool.
- When ready to freeze add the whipping cream and vanilla to the mixture
- Pour into your ice cream maker and follow the ice cream maker’s directions.
- Near the end of the freezing mix in the cherries.
- Serve immediately or freeze to harden
For an alternate and equally as delicious Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe check out the recipe I posted at Lilkidthings a few years ago!