A new Taste & Smell Research Foundation conducted study, commissioned by the maker Pine-Sol® cleaners, found that children who perform better at school almost always identify their homes with scents associated with clean. The study also showed a correlation between memory of positive scents and performance, demonstrating that it begins at an early age and is something that parents can impact.
- Children who perform better at school almost always identify their homes with scents associated with clean – 84% of students reporting GPAs of A or B had positive childhood home smells – using descriptors like “lemony, minty or clean”; with only 16% noting negative smells at home.
- Those who recalled their childhood home as being an environment with negative smells or aromas were two-times more likely to have a lower grade point average (GPA) than those that did not.
- The study demonstrated a positive connection between a well-cared home and the sort of stable family environment that promotes academic success, self-esteem, learning and harmony – and enhances achievement later in life.
- 34% of students with a GPA grade of C or less, remembered negative childhood home aromas including urine, fecal and mold – double the percentage of those with higher GPAs.
LIKE Pine-Sol on Facebook and give the gift of reading:
Pine-Sol has two new scents (Garden Fresh and Outdoor Fresh) both with the first ever easy-to-pour flip-cap which offers controlled pouring.
Win – One lucky reader will win 3 books in Honor of National Reading Month:
The Dot by Peter H. Reynolds
My People by Langston Hughes and Charles R. Smith Jr.
The Lion & The Mouse by Jerry Pinkney
US Residents Only
Leave a comment with your family’s favorite book.
- Like Pine-Sol on Facebook
- Follow in GFC, Subscribe via email or RSS feed to The B Keeps Us Honest in GFC. (1 Entry for Each)
- Follow @bkeepsushonest on Twitter.
- Tweet this (can be done daily): “Win 3 books in honor if National Reading Month @bkeepsushonest 4/7 https://tinyurl.com/4kxvb64 #giveaway”
- “Like” The B Keeps Us Honest on Facebook
- “Like” this Post on Facebook (simply click the LIKE button on the bottom of this post)
- Enter any of my other current giveaways (1 entry per giveaway entered)